Full time, permanent, 35 hours a week
Competitive salary and generous benefits.
Based in South America, most likely Lima, Peru or Buenos Aires, Argentina after an extended induction period in the UK.
This is an exciting and pioneering opportunity to lead Church Mission Society into mission growth in Latin America. Building on a fantastic heritage, you will seek to enable and inspire mission in and from Latin America. Through working with our well-established relationships (including that with the Anglican Church and others) and through forging new partnerships you will build a stronger mission movement across the region.
Following an initial induction/start-up programme in Oxford, UK (envisaged to be at least six months) the role will be based in a strategic ‘hub’ location such as Lima, Peru and will seek to strategically develop, fulfil and maintain CMS’s vision, aims and values.
Key responsibilities include:
Strategic development, in conjunction with the International Mission Director:
- Lead CMS into mission growth in Latin America including the creation and building of a CMS Latin America locally-led mission entity
- Further develop CMS’s mission strategy and missiology in Latin America, working closely with local strategic partners, and the International Mission Team.
People in Mission
- Dynamically and strategically mobilise resources, ideas, prayer, and people where needed
- Develop the Mission Partner and Local Partner programmes in Latin America.
To be successful you will need to:
Have strong experience in leadership in mission, church or another Christian organisation with responsibility for people and strategic development
- Understand the church and mission context in Latin America
- Be a dynamic problem solver, able to overcome obstacles with a calm approach
- Have a track record of achievement in pioneering contexts
- Speak Spanish and English fluently, and be prepared to learn Portuguese, if not already able
- Have proven ability to create and sustain high levels of relational trust cross-culturally
- Be a committed and practising Christian, able to commit to CMS’s values and aims
- Be ready to commit to an initial five year period developing this role
It is also a requirement for this post holder to be a committed and practising Christian committed to Church Mission Society's values and aims. The post may be subject to safeguarding checks.
Further details can be found in the job description and person specification which you can download below.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications:
Midnight on Monday 28 August 2017
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 13 September 2017 at CMS in Oxford, or by Skype if required.
Please send your CV and a detailed covering letter (with copies in both English and Spanish, please) explaining what attracts you to this role and why you would want to work for Church Mission Society. Please send your application to: HR Team, CMS Watlington Road, Oxford OX4 6BZ, UK or email@example.com