Our partners in the Diocese of Toliara, in the Republic of Madagascar, are looking for a Parish Priest or Church Planter. The candidate is required to be qualified, highly motivated and competent with relevant experience.
The required individual must:
- be well-spoken, a strong leader, capable of administrative oversight, an effective educator and model not only for the parish but for the young clergy in the Diocese
- perform baptisms, marriages, teach confirmation classes and beresponsible for recording all ceremonial occasions in the permanent records of the church
- ensure parents and godparents are aware of the responsibilities of baptizing a child and how to carry out these responsibilities
- oversee the education of children and adults who are seeking confirmation into the church
- keep a parish record of all families and communicants that attend, whether active or inactive
- make all records available to the bishop upon request
- oversee all weddings, funerals, baptisms, ordinations and confirmations within the parish using the Book of Common Prayer
The Anglican Diocese of Toliara is geographically the largest Diocese in the Province of the Indian Ocean and the Republic of Madagascar. It covers four regions of southern and western Madagascar. Travel links are poor, government services are few, and poverty is rampant. Toliara became a new Anglican Diocese in April 21, 2013, with Bishop Todd McGregor elected as the first Diocesan Bishop of Toliara. The diocese has been blessed by very rapid growth: there are now over 80 churches and 8,000-9,000 Anglicans. There is an acute need for new priests to serve this growing diocese. Successful candidates will have relevant qualifications and experience.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Church Mission Society places individuals, couples and families in over 45 countries around the world as we seek to share the love of Jesus and see our world transformed. Our placements are self-funding with extensive support in fundraising given to those who serve long-term (4+ years). All placements are subject to DBS clearance. Church Mission Society is only able to directly test the calling of those who are rooted in UK/European churches.
Terms and conditions depend upon the location of each opening and the duration of the placement offered. Short-term opportunities (4 months to 2 years) are self-funded, with CMS offering residential, cross-cultural training. Long-term mission partners serve for 4-6 years minimum. We work on a fully resourced basis to ensure your funding, learning and support are in place together, through connecting to local churches and your wider networks. Individualised learning plans are developed for preparation and during service for those on long-term service.