Raising our voice for mission in every church congregation
Advocates are a vital way of getting the message of mission into the heart – and the hearts – of church congregations.
Whether you’ve been speaking up for mission in your church for many years, or have only recently started getting involved, becoming an advocate will:
- equip you: we’ll provide tools and resources that will help you inspire your congregation for mission
- update you: we’ll keep you up to speed with the latest news, events and ideas from Church Mission Society in the UK and around the world
- enable you: to share your stories of what mission looks like in your church
What do advocates do?
An advocate’s main role is to help inspire your church for mission – and that can come in many forms depending on your church…
- making sure that your church is regularly praying for mission
- encouraging your church to use new Church Mission Society resources that become available
- keeping your church up to date with news of link mission partners and arranging for them to visit your church
- encouraging the church to fundraise and give generously to mission
- encouraging members of the congregation to actively be involved in mission
But you’re not doing this alone. Our advocate materials help with all of this through ideas, resources and stories of what others are doing.
Are advocates only for churches that are linked with mission partners?
Not at all! There are lots of ways that churches can be involved with Church Mission Society. We are seeking people who can speak up for mission in any church.
Does my church already need to support Church Mission Society for me to be an advocate?
No. Just get in touch and we can send you information and resources to help you start new mission conversations in your church and introduce them to Church Mission Society.
Do I need to know a lot about mission and Church Mission Society to be an advocate?
We just need your enthusiasm. We can equip you with everything you need to learn about Church Mission Society and the mission we are involved in.
What will you send me if I’m an advocate?
We want to equip you with useful information and resources, but we don’t want to overwhelm you. We will send you:
- an introductory pack – including a guide to being an advocate and a poster for your church
- Advocates in Action email – this comes out three times a year and includes stories, inspiration and resources for your church
- regular CMS publications – all our advocates receive the two core CMS publications to share with your church: The Call, a three times a year newspaper with lots of stories and feature articles, and Prayerlines, our bi-monthly prayer diary which you and your church can use to focus your prayers.
The call in action: ADVOCATE
- Could you be a Church Mission Society advocate in your church?
- Are you already an advocate and have a good story about how your church is getting involved in mission?
Contact the church relations team on 01865 787523 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to Advocates in Action email
‘Hope for Honduras’
How one CMS-supporting church made mission come alive with a black-tie dinner
Video: Mission is…what we do
A brief introduction to what Church Mission Society does.
Churches aligning with CMS in mission
As a CMS advocate you are a vital link between the work of CMS and your church, not just in […]
Meet Alastair Bateman, new CEO
To get to know the new CEO of Church Mission Society, Alastair Bateman, our chair of trustees […]