Our partners in the Diocese in Europe are looking for a Missional Priest for Christ Church, the Anglican Chaplaincy in Kyiv, Ukraine.
Christ Church Kyiv was planted by the Intercontinental Church Society (ICS) in 1997. The church has a small but faithful number of expatriate members as well as regular Ukrainian members and visitors. Members and visitors come from different nationalities and denominations, with a broad range of social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
Roles and tasks:
- Lead the Sunday afternoon worship service, administer the sacraments, and oversee and develop the congregation’s intermittent Christian education program for adults and children.
- Provide pastoral care to members of the congregation, many of whom live distantly from other family members and communities of support.
- Work with the Church Council to establish an area of congregational responsibility for each council member; create opportunities that will lead to more diverse lay participation in Sunday worship and congregational leadership.
- In partnership with the Church Council, develop a strategy to create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for visitors and newcomers.
- Help the congregation move towards greater financial self-sufficiency; teach members the joy of sharing the responsibility of financially supporting a full-time priest and active ministry.
- Reach out to the wider English-speaking community of Kyiv; attend events at embassies, international schools, and other places where English-speaking expatriates frequent; also be open to welcoming English-speaking Ukrainians into the worshipping life of the congregation.
- Establish a good working relationship with the priest of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church congregation, which hosts Christ Church Kyiv in its sanctuary and occasionally organizes joint ecumenical worship services.
- Develop close working relationships with other CMS partners present in Kyiv and Ukraine generally.
For a full role description and profile of the chaplaincy please get in touch.
Church Mission Society places individuals, couples and families in over 45 countries around the world as we seek to share the love of Jesus and see our world transformed. Our placements are self-funding with extensive support in fundraising given to those who serve long-term (4+ years). All placements are subject to DBS clearance. Church Mission Society is only able to directly test the calling of those who are rooted in UK/European churches.
Terms and conditions depend upon the location of each opening and the duration of the placement offered. Short-term opportunities (4 months to 2 years) are self-funded, with CMS offering residential, cross-cultural training. Long-term mission partners serve for 4-6 years minimum. We work on a fully resourced basis to ensure your funding, learning and support are in place together, through connecting to local churches and your wider networks. Individualised learning plans are developed for preparation and during service for those on long-term service.