Mission with People who are Spiritual but not Religious
17 July 2018
Talks, interviews and resource recommendations from our day conference on Mission with People who are Spiritual but not Religious in July 2018.
On 17 July 2018, Church Mission Society’s Pioneer Mission Leadership Training programme hosted a specialist day with practitioners from all over the UK, as well as the US, who shared their wisdom on how to engage with the growing number of people in the Western world who describe themselves as spiritual but not religious.
An issue of Anvil journal of theology and mission was inspired by this event
The day was aimed at giving regular churchgoers and pioneers in mission the confidence to enter into conversation with spiritual seekers. We also wanted to spark imaginations such that environments will be created where an exploration of Christian spirituality can begin and eyes will be opened to how embarking on a relationship with Jesus might give life greater meaning and security at a time of perpetual change. We hope offering these talks as audio resources will further that aim.
Following are some book and article recommendations for those who are interested in understanding more about mission among people who identify themselves as spiritual but not religious.
- Do Christians know how to be spiritual? – John Drane
- The Shaken Path – Paul Cudby*
- Burning Religion – Phil Wyman*
- Using the Jesus Deck – Penny Horseman (Grove books)
- The Spirituality Revolution – David Tacy
- Sacred Stories, Spiritual Tribes – Nancy Ammerman
- Mission-Shaped Evangelism – Steve Hollinghurst
- Equipping your church in a Spiritual Age – CTBI
- Forest Church – Bruce Stanley
- Wild Lent – Rachel Summers
- The Celtic Wheel of the Year – Tess Ward
Blogs, articles and websites
These will give you some insight into “spiritual but not religious” ideas and movements:
- The New Age of Astrology – Julie Beck, The Atlantic
- 21st Century Spirituality – BBC Stories
- The tarot revival thanks to Brexit, Trump and Dior – Didem Tali, BBC Business
- Two Poems for Winter Solstice – Adam Ranger, A Druid’s Journey
- Worshipping the green man – Andrea Campanale, Sacred Space Kingston*
- Phil Wyman*
- God of Green Hope
- Ruach Cards
- Mystic Christ
- Eden People
- Churches Fellowship for Psychical and Spiritual Studies
*Denotes speakers at the Mission With People Who Are Spiritual But Not Religious conference on 17 July 2018 at CMS in Oxford