Church Mission Society (CMS) is registered with the Information Commissioner (ICO), registration number Z6100362.
You can read more concerning our registration here, including a list of all data related activities that we have registered with the ICO.
What is personal data?
Personal data covers any information that enables us to identify you as an individual. This information could include, name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card details or bank details (submitted when making a donation).
How do we use your personal data?
All information that we hold concerning you as an individual supporter will be held and processed by Church Mission Society in accordance with the provisions of data protection legislation.
Such data will be used by Church Mission Society to administer our relationship with you and to provide you with information about our activities.
We will respect your preferences to be included or not included in email mail-outs and postal mailings. Please use the options within the emails to unsubscribe or contact us by email at email@example.com, by phone on 01865 787400 or by post at the address below.
We will also respect your preference for your photo not to appear in Church Mission Society publications, please contact us to express this preference.
We will only keep your details for as long as necessary, for details of this please see our data retention policy.
Will we share your personal data?
We will not transfer your contact details to other charities or to other companies for their marketing purposes.
We will not, without your consent, supply your contact details or other personal data to any third party outside Church Mission Society except:
- Where we are required to do so by the law.
- Where the transfer is within the Church Mission Society group of companies (CMS, CMS Trust, SAMS, CMS House Enterprises Ltd)
- Where such a transfer is a necessary part of the activities that we undertake. For example, we may:
- transfer your name and address to a mailing house in order to send out mailings to you
- transfer your contact details to our email platform provider in order to send out tailored emails to you
- transfer your name, address and the values of gifts that you have given us to HMRC in order to reclaim gift aid on your gifts transfer your name and contact details to conference centres if you are a supporter attending a CMS sponsored conference
- transfer your name and address to profile research organisations in order to get anonymous analysis of our supporters’ collective behaviour and identity – for example their average age, common interests
- transfer your name and address to questionnaire research organisations so that they can conduct personalised surveys or collect independent feedback from supporters on our performance, or their own opinions
- transfer your name, address and the values of gifts that you have given us to other organisations in the CMS family (specifically CMS-Africa, Asia CMS, CMS Australia, CMS Ireland, New Zealand CMS and SAMS USA), where your gift has been earmarked specifically for the ministry of mission personnel working for one of those entities.
If you are making a donation or payment with a Debit or Credit card via the Church Mission Society website, or by phone, we use two companies who are experts in their field to do this.
We will not supply your personal data to third parties in order to get individualised reporting on your capacity to make charitable donations (a practice known as wealth screening).
As we depend on the donations of individuals to undertake our work, we may gather information about you from publicly available sources – for example, Companies House, the Electoral Register and the media – to help us to understand more about you as an individual and your interests. We do this to ensure that any requests for funds we make are appropriate and do not cause offence, and any offers we make to you, around events and volunteering, are appropriate to your interests.
In addition to this we may also use publically available sources to carry out due-diligence on donors to ensure we meet money laundering regulations.
We encourage members of the Church Mission Society Community to give consent to allow us to supply their contact details to other members of the community, to encourage prayer for one another and fellowship or meeting up with each other. You may choose to share your address, phone number and/or email address under these circumstances.
With the exception of staff members, we do not collect sensitive personal data, for example information about health conditions. Nor do we collect data from people under 16 years of age.
At present we're only using cookies to collect Google Analytics - these collect anonymous data so we can see how popular (we hope) our site is and what people are interested in looking at
We may sometimes contact you in your capacity as a representative of an organisation, for example if you are a minister of a church. In this case, we do not hold details for you as an individual supporter but as a contact for the organisation. These details are stored as a separate record in our database and are not regarded as personal data. Sometimes our relationship with you would be in both categories – as an individual and as representative of an organisation - and we will work hard to make the context clear when we communicate with you.
If you are an employee of Church Mission Society or a visitor to CMS House, then we may hold additional personal data about you, please contact us for details.
Contacting us regarding your personal data
As an individual, you have a right under data protection legislation to obtain information from us, including a description of the data that we hold on you. Should you have any queries concerning this, please contact us at the address below.
Our contact details for data protection matters
Church Mission Society, Watlington Road Oxford, OX4 6BZ
This version – January 2018.