Can’t see the audio player? Listen on Soundcloud
Advisory: contains frank discussion of FGM practices.
On the last of #16daysofactivism against gender-based violence, we hear from Ann-Marie Wilson, CMS mission partner and founder of the anti-FGM charity 28toomany.
Ann-Marie was working in Sudan in 2003–2004 when she met a little girl in Darfur who’d had female genital mutilation (FGM) at 5 and been raped at 10. From this encounter, the charity @28toomany was born. Ann-Marie felt called to act – to stand up and make a difference. With support from @churchmissionsociety she started @28toomany in 2010 with the goal of reducing the practice of FGM by 10 per cent in 10 countries in 10 years –they are well on the way to achieving that. She recently told us about their latest country report on #Sudan and #SouthSudan – going back to where it all began. Ann-Marie comments, “This particular country report, it’s very close to my heart.”
Reflection questions for groups
If you are listening with your small group, you may like to reflect on some of these questions together:
- What was the one thing that most struck you when you were listening?
- What phrase or thought found an echo in your own experience or spiritual journey?
- Were there any common threads that linked the mission work of the people you’ve listened to and the needs of your local area?
- Does what you’ve heard inspire you to do anything in particular in response?
- What one prayer need will you commit to carry with you over the coming month and regularly pray for?