“Peace be with you, as the Father sent me, so I send you.” John 20:21
we are writing to update you on the incredibly exciting news that God is calling us back to Asia – Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. We will also be taking on an important new role with Asia-CMS.
Sixteen years on from when we started this work, our calling has not changed although our roles and responsibilities within Jigsaw have. After six years of working directly with local staff, God clearly said to us that Jigsaw Philippines must grow into a Filipino organisation.
So, for the past 10 years, Tim has been working with Jigsaw Philippines from the UK through Skype and regular visits to nurture and develop the ministry. Alongside this, a small group of dedicated supporters had started Jigsaw Kids UK in order to support the work in the Philippines through finance and prayer, with Tim becoming director of this on our return to the UK.
Jigsaw Philippines is now a fully-fledged local organisation. However, towards the end of last year, we felt that there needed to be a change as working from the UK was not allowing Jigsaw to develop in the way that it should. After much prayer, it became clear to us that we should move as a family to Malaysia. This will make it easier for us to support the ministry while still allowing the space Jigsaw needs to remain a locally-run organisation.
While we were exploring the possibility of moving to Asia, it quickly became apparent that God was guiding Tim to get involved with Asia- CMS, based in Kuala Lumpur (KL). They were looking for someone to help further develop their local partner programme and Tim’s background and experience really suited this role. While Asia- CMS draws upon the experience and wisdom of CMS UK, it also seeks to develop an authentic Asian mission movement that follows God’s leading and responds to needs within an Asian context.
We were so excited at the way God was guiding us to continue our work. The next hurdle was for Kate to get a teaching job in KL and she had an unexpected interview in London and was then offered a job at an international school. This also provides a fully funded place for Grace where she can study GCSEs.
So, what will we be doing?
- Working on a three-year development plan with Lendehl and the board of trustees to nurture Jigsaw to become a fully sustainable Filipino ministry.
- To continue as director of Jigsaw UK, overseeing and managing the operations and administration in partnership with volunteers that run the UK office.
- Supporting Asia-CMS in establishing procedures for their local partner programme and to receive/send people in mission to/from Asia
Kate and the family:
- Kate will be teaching at the Garden International School as a class teacher and deputy leader of early years as well as helping train staff and develop the early years programme of Jigsaw.
- Grace has a place in year 9 at the Garden International School and is very excited.
- James will look to do some online studies and seek God’s guidance in doing a variety of gap-year type activities such as conservation work, joining a football club, travelling, church work and maybe some Jigsaw work.
- Rebekah has a place at the University of East Anglia in Norwich to study Environmental Science and International Development. She will join us each holiday and has a lot of family and friends to support her while we are away.
Please pray that God will continue to prepare our place in Kuala Lumpur, for friends, a church and community to belong to, especially for James and Grace.
Please pray for Rebekah in the UK, that God will prepare her a place with wonderful Christian friends and a church family to belong to while studying at university.
We thank you so much for your continued support of our family and Jigsaw along with the new ministry we will be involved with at Asia-CMS, and we look forward to updating you further in our next link letter.
Thank you so much,
With love, Tim, Kate, James, Rebekah and Grace.