In this video you will hear about the pioneering work Rev Ali Boulton is doing on the estate where she lives. Ali explains how she and the community are forming church.
At CMS we believe in sharing knowledge, practice and experience, and we think Ali has some wise words about mission for us all, whether we live on an estate or not.
HOW CAN I USE THIS VIDEO?
There are a number of ways you can you use this video:
- You could watch the video in a small group using the questions (in the downloadable PDF) to help you think through the issues Ali raises.
- You could use this in a PCC meeting or as part of a church day away, again using the questions to stimulate the group’s thinking.
- Or you could always grab yourself a coffee and watch the video on your own.
- Important aspects of Ali’s approach are not having an agenda and working with people. How might this confirm or challenge your mission approach to the estate or area you live/work on?
- Ali heard from God the instruction “don’t talk about me”. What might God be saying to you about how he wants you to work with him in your estate/area? You may want to take some time to think this through and/or write this down as a group.
- Ali talks about avoiding taking on too much power. What are the power dynamics in your estate/area? How does the church interact with this power and to what effect?
- How did the form of “church” start and change on the estate that Ali lives on? How would you define what “church” means?
- Ali talks about some of the challenges of her work, how she needs to remain vulnerable and not develop a thick skin. Do you think vulnerability is an important part of mission? Is it essential?
- For Ali mission means “we are all bearers of God’s image…”. How would you finish the sentence, “Mission is…”? You may want to take some time to reflect on this before you share it with the group.